Sunday 23 March 2014

'Lotus' Meditation Reflection - Mar 23 14

Link to meditation, guided by Ajahn Brahm
On coming to the meditation in a fairly calm, neutral manner, physically comfortable, the meditation progressed as far as relaxing the body and beginning to relax the mind in the present moment. Thoughts swam around, in my low-grade mindfulness they seem unbidden though I appreciate a stronger mindfulness reveals more.

Calm thoughts that come, moving the imagination and producing some creative language and exploration in thought are not the initially expected results of meditation, yet at my level are the most common shallow result. There is a deeper result which is most beneficial, which is a slow, not deep, but felt, inuring from common daily stresses. I have a little more peace, and more resilience in the sense of a quicker recovery to equilibrium from a stress event or series of thoughts, and even less tendency to fall into patterns of repetitive negative thought.

I go no deeper into the lotus, but I have a fuller appreciation of the outer petals. I sense that the deeper into the lotus we go, taken by kindness and mindfulness, the more secure we become as human beings.


"The only sane response to existence is apathy," was a thought that popped into my mind when I had drifted to remembering the new television version of Cosmos, when it attempted to show the scale of the universe, both external to our physical scale regarding the planet, solar system, universe and ever greater and the internal scale of cells, molecules, atoms and... I always wondered what all the space between the smallest level of particles is (not in the sense of it a scientific name - whatever the language used calls it at any moment). It is there that consciousness and what some human beings call God exists, I expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment